This postcard shows the gates that were once a feature on both ends of El Camino Real (State Highway) marking the city limits of Burlingame. After the state highway was paved, in 1912, Burlingame erected four 30-ton rock pillars to mark Burlingame’s borders at Peninsula Avenue and (at that time the northern border) Mills Creek, near Adeline Drive. Admired by many and perceived as “death gates” by many others, the pillars were removed in 1923.
Title: Gates on State Highway
Accession no.: 94-054 POSTCARDS